Having all the right amenities for your VRBO or Airbnb vacation rental is a must. After all, guests are looking for a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. My husband and I have owned a successful vacation rental for the last 5 years. And I’m going to let you in on all the essential items you’ll need for the perfect rental.
I’ll share the items I use in my rental that have brought me raving reviews.
(My rental books out months in advance, and I have over 100 5-star reviews.)
If you’d like to see my vacation rental, click HERE!
Read More – How To Make Your Vacation Rental Stand Out
The following is a list of essential amenities for a successful vacation rental:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
VRBO / Airbnb Living Room Essentials
When choosing furniture for your VRBO or Airbnb rental, select items that are comfortable and easy to clean.
I highly recommend opting for couches and coffee tables that you can vacuum under.
Additionally, select furniture with a simple design to make dusting and wiping down quick and easy.
- Couches – I prefer leather couches for ease of cleaning.
- Coffee table – This link is to a coffee table I would buy for my rental, not the one I have. The coffee table I have has an added shelf below. This just gives me more to clean and dust which I’m not a fan of.
- End Tables – Keep the design simple.
- Books, magazines
- Decorative pillows – Buy pillows that you can throw in the wash or easily spot clean. I love putting decorative pillows on my couches and beds.
- Blanket Throws – A cozy blanket throw on a bed or couch will make your rental pictures look inviting.
- Internet Connection
- Spotting Scope – A spotting scope helps guests enjoy the many different birds at our lakehouse. If your rental home has wildlife around, help guests enjoy it with a spotting scope or binoculars. We have both at our home.
- Nest Thermostat – Our heating bill has gone way down since we installed a Nest Thermostat. We like that we can monitor and adjust the temperature remotely.
- Candles – My guests love the candles I leave at the house. It also gives them a way to light a room if the power goes out.
VRBO / Airbnb Kitchen Essentials
Many of my guests comment on the well-stocked kitchen in my vacation rental.
My husband and I often stay in our rental, which helps us know how it is to cook in our kitchen. We make sure to include all essentials, such as pots, pans, utensils, and plates.
Additionally, we include condiments, spices, and oil so guests can cook meals without buying these items.
- Dining Table – Purchase a table that will stand up to lots of use and be easy to clean.
- Coffee Maker – We keep a traditional coffee maker in our kitchen as well as a Keurig Coffee Maker
- Keurig Coffee Maker – This is a big hit with my guests, especially since I stock several kinds of k-cups next to it in an attractive k-cup holder.
- Coffee Pod Variety Pack – Leave a variety of coffee pods for your guests. Trust me, you’ll hear about it in the reviews!
- Utensils – You’ll need to stock your kitchen with a corkscrew, spatulas, can opener, mixing spoons, meat thermometer, wine stopper, measuring cups, measuring spoons, serving spoons.
- Pots & pans
- Microwave cover – This reminds guests to cover their food when cooking. I’ve noticed that the microwave has stayed very clean since I bought this.
- Knife Set – This Pioneer Woman Knife Set is the exact one I purchased for my rental and the knives are very sharp and the knife set is attractive.
- Plates & bowls
- Mixing Bowls
- Serving Bowls
- Serving Tray
- Cutting Board
- Dish Clothes, scrubber & hand towels
- Dish soap
- Dish detergent
- Countertop Cleaner
- Glasses – If you allow 8 guests in your rental, I would suggest stocking at least 10 dinner glasses, mugs, and wine glasses. You’ll occasionally have guests break something and you’ll want to have a few extra on hand.
- Wine Glasseshttps://a.co/52S6iyb
- Coffee Mugs – Spoil your guests with cute coffee mugs like these from Amazon.
- Beer Glasses – Your guests will love finding Etched Beer Glasses in your cupboard to keep their favorite beer fizzy.
- Paper towel holder, paper towels
VRBO / Airbnb Bedroom Essentials
It’s essential to have comfortable, cozy, and clean bedding in your vacation rental. Guests will expect soft sheets and a comfortable mattress.
Below are items I use in my bedrooms.
- Bed – Purchase a bed frame that is easy to vacuum under. We love this bed frame that is very affordable.
- Mattress – A medium-priced mattress will work fine if you have an excellent mattress topper (see below).
- Mattress topper – This link is to the most amazing mattress topper I slept on at my sister-in-law’s house. I plan to put these on my beds at my rental soon.
- Mattress protector – This will protect your mattress from spills and urine. I use these mattress protectors on all my beds. I also use these pillow protectors on all pillows.
- Sheets – I recommend medium-priced sheets. You want something nice enough for guests but not so expensive that you’ll be upset if a guest damages them.
- Blankets – I prefer having a quilt with a thin blanket underneath. This makes it easy to wash the bedding. Buy bedding that isn’t too bulky to fit in the washer and dryer. You don’t want to have to take anything to the laundry mat. I use these quilts from Walmart on some of my beds in my rental and they have lasted for years. They’re also really easy to wash and dry since they are made from microfiber fabric.
- Throws – I use throws on all of my beds and couches. It makes the home cozy and inviting.
- Bench – I have this bench at the end of one of my queen beds at my rental. It provides a nice place for guests to put luggage or clothes and looks appealing.
- Towels – I purchase gray towels. I put towels and soaps on each bedroom dresser.
- Toiletries – My guests love my luxury soaps and shampoos. I buy them in bulk from amazon.
- Sound Machine – This will help your guests drown out any noise for a good sleep. My family can’t live without them.
- Side tables
- Shelf Liner – If you’re purchasing new dressers, I highly recommend covering them with a shelf liner to protect them from drinks and spills.
- TV – Your guests will love a flat-screen TV in the bedroom. We include several streaming services with our rental like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney Plus. Our guests really appreciate being able to watch their favorite shows on vacation.
- Luggage Rack – I use this luggage rack in bedrooms where guests don’t have anywhere to put a suitcase.
- Inflatable mattress – We have this Queen size inflatable mattress at our rental in case guests need an extra bed.
VRBO / Airbnb Bathroom Essentials
- Shower curtain – I like the shower curtains with the snap-in liner and no hooks required. They are easy to wash and keep bright white for guests.
- Rugs – Purchase plush bathroom rugs that will hold up to frequent washing like these from Amazon.
- Toilet paper – I put 1 roll of toilet paper in each bathroom for my guests. They are responsible for any other toilet paper they need.
- Blow Dryer – Guests will appreciate having a blow dryer at the house, so they don’t have to pack one.
- Bubble Bath – I have a jetted tub and guests love having this lavender bubble bath available for a relaxing soak in the tub.
- Refillable Hand Soap Dispenser – Guests will appreciate having hand soap in the bathrooms and kitchen. I save money by purchasing an attractive hand soap dispenser that I can easily refill.
VRBO / Airbnb Game Room Essentials
My guests LOVE my game room. It’s an excellent place for a family to gather to watch movies or play video games.
I highly suggest a ping pong table or a pool table if you have room. It will provide hours of fun for your guests.
- Couches – My game room has reclining sofas, which my guests love. I find them a bit difficult to clean under, though.
- Coffee Table – Buy something that is easy to clean.
- Flat Screen TV – Guests will expect a large flat-screen TV in the family room.
- TV Stand – Purchase a TV stand that has plenty of room for a gaming system, games, and controllers.
- Game system – We have a PS4 with several games and our guests LOVE it. Someday we’ll spoil them with a PS5 gaming system.
- Games – Some of the games we have at our house are Checkers, Sorry, Yard-Size Connect 4, Uno, Cards, Jenga, Legos, Blocks, and Blank Slate.
- Ping Pong Table, paddles & ping pong balls – I purchased mine from Dick’s Sporting Goods.
- Pool table – I don’t have room for a pool table in my rental, but my family always loves when a rental has one.
- Wall Art
- Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max – Our guests appreciate having several streaming services.
- Throw blankets & pillows
VRBO / Airbnb Outdoor Essentials
You should strive to make your outdoor area relaxing and inviting. Purchase furniture that you would enjoy using and that will hold up to the elements.
- Balcony Chairs – Our Adirondack Balcony Chairs are my absolute favorite. They sit up high so you can see over the deck’s railing. They’re incredibly comfortable and durable. I love the table in the middle. I always eat my meals here when it’s warm outside.
- Dining Table
- Grill – I highly recommend a stainless steel grill that is easy to clean like this one from Amazon.
- Grill Tools
- Grill Cover
- Grill Mat
- Paddleboards – We have inflatable Pioneer Paddleboards from Isle and love them.
- Firepit – We’ve been getting more bookings since we installed a firepit.
- Marshmallow Roasting Sticks – I have retractable roasting sticks that fit right in my kitchen drawer.
- Adirondack Chairs – Your pictures will look very inviting if you have nice chairs around your firepit. Guests will imagine themselves there. These are the chairs we purchased for our lakehouse. They are affordable and durable.
- Hammock – A hammock will look great in your pictures and help guests think about relaxing at your vacation rental.
- Trash Collection Service – you’ll need to figure out if trash collection is offered in your area or if you’ll have to remove the trash yourself.
- Recycling Service
- Smartlock with code – Our guests love that we have a keyless entry. We don’t have to meet them to give them access to the home. We just give them their code. You can monitor when guests check in with the app on your phone. You’ll also be able to lock the door remotely should your guests forget to.
- Outdoor mats – I tried several different outdoor mats before I realized that rubber mats last the longest. I try to find rubber mats with a colorful, inviting design to welcome my guests like this one.
- Outdoor decor
- Outdoor lighting – It’s very important that your guests can see outside if they arrive at your house when it’s dark. We have these lights installed on the outdoor of our home. They are solar-powered and automatically turn on when someone walks by them.
- Decorative Outdoor Lights – We have these string lights installed around our dock. They are solar-powered and make our dock look amazing at nighttime.
- Ring Camera – We have one on the front of our house so we can see how many cars are at the property and how many people are coming and going. This helps us ensure there are no parties happening at our rental.
VRBO / Airbnb Laundry Room Essentials
It’s essential to have a well-stocked laundry room for your maid and guests. If you have several beds in your rental as we do, I highly recommend a large capacity washer and dryer.
- Washer & Dryer – If you have several beds in your rental, I highly recommend a large capacity washer and dryer. Laundry is so much easier now that we purchased these GE Large Capacity Washer and Dryer for our rental.
- Detergent – I prefer a detergent with a clean, fresh scent to make the bedding smell wonderful.
- Dryer Sheets
- Locked Cabinet – We purchased a pantry cabinet and my husband installed a lock on each door. We use this to store linens and cleaning supplies for us and our maid.
- Iron & Ironing Board – I have this small ironing board and iron at our rental.
- Beach Towels – if your rental has a pool or is by a lake or the ocean, I highly suggest keeping beach towels at your home. This will keep guests from using your nice bath towels.
- Inflatable water toys
- Electric pump – This makes it easy for guests to blow up the water toys.
- Life jackets – We have several sizes for our guests.
- First Aid Kit – Every rental should have a first aid kit available.
- Fire Extinguisher – Keep a fire extinguisher in a highly visible place. Mine is mounted to the wall in the laundry room.
VRBO / Airbnb Cleaning Supplies
I keep basic cleaning supplies under the kitchen sink for my guests. I also keep a bucket of cleaning supplies in my locked cabinet for my maid or myself to use.
- Scrubbing Bubbles
- Scrubbing Sponges – I purchase these in bulk so that I always have a clean one for guests to use.
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- 409 or other disinfectants
- Microfiber Cloth – I save money on paper towels by using these microfiber cloths to clean mirrors and windows. They work just as well as paper towels, if not better. And they are washable.
- Squeegee Window Cleaner – Since we have a lot of tall windows in our rental, we use a window cleaner with an extension pole like this one.
- Ozone Generator – I can’t live without this product! We have one at our rental, our home, and my son’s apartment. If you have any musty smell that you can’t get rid of, this will do wonders! An ozone generator eliminates musty smells by releasing ozone into the air. Ozone is a powerful oxidizer that quickly breaks down odors, leaving your rental smelling fresh and clean. In addition, ozone also helps to kill mold and mildew.
- Vacuum – I can’t tell you how much we love our Shark Vacuum. It’s small enough to get under most furniture and light enough to carry up and down stairs easily.
- Swifter Duster – I absolutely love this duster that can reach hard-to-get places like ceiling fans.
- Cleaning Rags – I keep plenty on hand to clean counters, appliances, and bathroom surfaces.
- Oxyclean – I use this often to get stains off of linens and throw pillows.
- Nature’s Miracle Stain and Odor Remover – If you allow pets in your rental, you’ll definitely want this product. It takes out urine smells in your carpet and upholstery. It’s not just for pet urine, though, it works for many different kinds of stains and odors. We use it all the time.
Making your rental comfortable and inviting is key to getting bookings and rave reviews.
Our vacation rental has been successful thanks to our attention to detail when it comes to amenities. Several of my reviews mention how they enjoyed using our kitchen because we had every utensil and pan needed for their meal.
Our guests also love our paddleboards, kayaks, game rooms, shampoos, and coffee makers.
Use your rental often to see if you have everything you need for the perfect vacation. You’ll also be able to find anything that needs to be repaired.
If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know in the comments.
If you found this post helpful,
please PIN IT!